Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Unexpected

On Wednesday morning when Lydia woke up she complained that her surgery leg hurt. I looked at it everything looked normal and fine. I gave her some Motrin and we went to the library and lunch. Then she came home and took a nap. When she woke up from her nap she said she didn't feel good and she felt warm. I took her tempature and it was 101.4. I checked her leg and noticed a little redness on her ankle and some swelling. I called her surgeon and he said to meet him at the E.R in a hour and a half. Taylor was out of town so I took Penny to Grandma's house and headed to the E.R. When the Dr. came in the leg looked about twice as red and swollen as it had at 4:00pm. He told me she would need to have surgery that night and that we should expect to stay at the hospital over night. The tissue on the Neveus got too thin after it died which is why the infection was able to sneek in. She went into surgery at 10:00 pm and finished around midnight. Taylor got home about 1:00 am. He felt so bad he wasn't there to help and wait for her during her surgery. They had to take us in the ambulance to the other hospital she slept the whole way; she was exhausted. They took the expanders out of her leg and placed two drains in each side of the leg. They tested the samples from the surgery and she has staff infection. We ended up staying for 3 nights which felt forever. We just got home today and she is doing really well. They will keep her on an antibiotic and she will go back to see the doctor on Monday. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the calls and support, we feel so loved.

This is a picture of them flushing the leg. They would do this 2-3 times a day and it was the worst part for Lydia but she was so tough.

I did really well not having any melt downs until last night when she was so exhausted and upset. It is so hard as a parent to see your child hurt.

13 comments:

Alex n Kalli said...

These pictures are heartbreaking! I'm glad she is doing better, we love her so much!

Cierra::The Yellow House said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you guys had to go through this. Hospital stays are the very worst. I'm glad that you guys are home & I hope little miss gets (& stays!) better soon.

Josh and Megan said...

Oh my gosh hunny!!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of this, but I'm so happy that there is modern medicine to keep her healthy! I really hope she is feeling better today!

Corey said...

Poor little girl. Doesn't sound like much fun. She is one tough cookie! Can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks.

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Oh, poor little sweetheart! What a trooper! Hope her leg feels better soon!

Telsha Winger & fam said...

Oh Ruby, I'm sorry you had to do that all by yourself. You are amazing! Glad everything is okay. I will keep you guys in our prayers and please let us know if you need help with ANYTHING!

Bryanna Johnson said...

That is terrible! I'm so sorry to hear you guys had to go through all that. I hope Lydia feels better soon!

Tyson, Amber & Alayna said...

Oh my goodness...poor little girl. I'm so glad she's doing better. Those pics broke my heart. You're an amazing mom. I'm not sure I would have been as brave.

Unknown said...

Poor little Lyd! Those pics make me so sad!

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea. I wish we could have done something to help. I was wondering why she wasn't at the last day of school party but figured she was just at the doctor for something for her leg and boy was she at the doctor! These pictures are heartbreaking. I hope you are all doing better and please please please let me know if I can do anything at all to help.

Sissy Jackson said...

Darling Ruby, YOU ARE A SUPERMOM. She is so lucky to have you. Poor little thing. Keep your chin up and stay positive. We'll keep you all in our prayers. Love you guys.

Josh and Megan said...

How is she doing??

Julie said...

Oh poor girl. I am so sorry. It is so hard to go through things like this as a parent. Hope she is doing better.